Haveypou noticed how everything Obama amounts to more debt?
With the market yet another algo-controlled snoozer, programmed to close the S&P just green (as otherwise confidence in central planning may fail), the key things we learned today are as follows:
Obama proposed 23 “gun controling” executive actions, which do little or nothing to actually control guns – that part falls to Congress, where the proposal will be promptly killed – but which will add some $4.5 billion to US spending, and which will “push for further action on his health care law, including insisting on the kind of mental health coverage states must provide under their Medicaid programs.”
The breakdown of the spending is as follows, per Weekly Standard:
- $4 billion for the president’s proposal “to help keep 15,000 cops on the streets in cities and towns across the country.” (That is roughly $266,000 per police officer.)
- $20 million to “give states stronger incentives to make [relevant] data available [for background checks] … “$50 million for this purpose in FY2014”
- “$14 million to help train 14,000 more police officers and other public and private personnel to respond to active shooter situations.”
- “$10 million for the Centers for Disease Control to conduct further research, including investigating the relationship between video games, media images, and violence.”
- $20 million to expand the National Violent Death Reporting System.
- $150 million to “put up to 1,000 new school resource officers and school counselors on the job.”
What can one say: politics, fully, theatrically and embarrassingly “endorsed” by the children sitting behind the president.