July 21, 2013

Eric Holder steals George Zimmerman’s gun: It is not clear what federal law or legal procedure allows Mr. Holder to stop a police chief in Florida from returning a firearm to an innocent man.

LAWLESS, we don’t need no stinking laws. Fast and Furious …. Holder responds to innocence.


More Mystery Over AP Subpoenas Process At Justice Department

May 17, 2013

Well another fine mess Mr Holder you have got yourself into … As I noted in a story Wednesday, Justice’s Director of Public Affairs is supposed to be consulted on all subpoenas to the media or for media-related phone records. In the past, that consultation has prompted the narrowing of subpoenas in some cases and their rejection in other cases, though the ultimate decision rests with more senior Justice Department officials.



May 4, 2013

About Obama’s GUNWALKER scandal. You know what I mean Obama and Holder shipping guns illegally to the Mexican drug cartels to heighten alarm in the USA from this? The scheme that badly backfired on the administration when the people finally figured it out. And our Border Agent was killed in the process, but one of these guns tracked back to the DOJs gun walker program.

Well it’s back As little Barry told his Mexican buds the gun shops in Phoenix were selling the guns to the drug gangs. Just an outright lie, and he knows it. 100s of Mexican Nationals died because of this Obama program.

A journalist’s guide to ‘Project Gunwalker’

This is a link to David Codrea’s articles about “GunWalker”.

We are told that background checks are needed for all people who seek to exercise their Second Amendment recognized, enumerated, rights. We are told that our rights must be restricted for safety. We are being abused. Our rights are being abused. Why isn’t the NRA snapping? All it does is this? Maybe that is because the NRA isn’t what many think it is. But I digress.

The NRA is the people.

June 29, 2012

The Dead Mexicans and our Border Agent just won’t go away …

The Republican-led House of Representatives on Thursday voted to hold Attorney General Eric H. Holder contempt for failing to disclose internal Justice Department documents in response to a subpoena. It was the first time in American history that Congress has imposed the sanction on a sitting member of a president’s cabinet.

The politically and constitutionally charged dispute centered on whether the Justice Department must turn over e-mails and memorandums showing its internal deliberations last year about the botched Arizona-based gunrunning investigation known as Operation Fast and Furious. President Obama has invoked executive privilege to block the subpoena.

The vote — 255 to 67, with one Democrat voting present — followed an acrimonious debate that played out.

Scores of Democrats, accusing Republicans of abusing their power to engineer an election-year “partisan witch hunt,” walked out of the chamber in protest and cast no votes, punctuating a day filled with bitter, sharp-edged rhetoric.

The contempt citations are likely to have little practical impact. The criminal referral was sent to the Justice Department, which will decline to pursue it, as George W. Bush’s Justice Department declined to pursue contempt citations passed in 2008 against White House officials. A civil citation approved Thursday by the House will not wind its way through the courts until long after Mr. Holder’s announced departure at the end of this year.

But the citations could be seen as a stain on the attorney general’s record. House Democrats said Mr. Holder talked to Democrats at a White House picnic on Wednesday to hold Democratic yes votes to a minimum.

Representative Darrell Issa, Republican of California, who has led the House investigation into Fast and Furious, said the vote was necessary to hold Mr. Holder accountable for what he portrayed as “lies and a cover-up exclusively within his jurisdiction.”

The House minority leader, Nancy Pelosi of California, called the unprecedented vote a “heinous act” and an “unprincipled” effort on the part of the Republicans. Echoing other Democrats, she complained that the Republicans had rushed the floor consideration less than a week after Mr. Issa’s committee recommended it on a party-line vote.

Mr. Holder, a recurring target for conservatives, is associated with some of the administration’s most liberal policies on matters like gay rights, civilian trials in terrorism cases and the enforcement of civil rights laws.

In a statement, the White House accused House Republicans of engaging in “political theater rather than legitimate Congressional oversight.” It also noted that a day earlier, Mr. Issa said his investigation had uncovered no evidence and now had no strong suspicion that Mr. Holder had known about or authorized a tactic used in Fast and Furious called gunwalking. Under the practice, investigators do not swiftly interdict weapons and arrest low-level suspects in an effort to build a larger case.

But Mr. Issa has insisted that Congress had a right to see the documents, which cover a period last year after the gun-smuggling case had been shut down. Republicans, citing a false statement in a February 2011 letter the Justice Department sent to Congress and later retracted, want to determine whether officials engaged in a cover-up by willfully misleading Congress.

With Republicans in the majority in the House, there was little doubt that the final vote would be to cite Mr. Holder for contempt. The only question was how many Democrats representing conservative-leaning districts would cross party lines to join that effort. The National Rifle Association was pressuring them to do so, announcing that it would score the vote in its report card on how lawmakers approached Second Amendment gun rights.

In the end, 17 Democrats voted yes. They included some of the most endangered incumbents, among them Representatives Larry Kissell of North Carolina, Ben Chandler of Kentucky and Kathy Hochul of New York. Representative Joe Donnelly of Indiana, who is running for the Senate, also voted yes. The group Gun Owners of America released a letter this week demanding a yes from Mr. Donnelly.

The two Republicans who voted no were Representatives Scott Rigell, a freshman from a Virginia district with a large African-American population, and Steven C. LaTourette of Ohio, an outspoken moderate.

Operation Fast and Furious was conducted from late 2009 to early 2011 by Phoenix-based agents of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives who were looking into a gun-smuggling network linked to a Mexican drug cartel.

Suspected “straw” purchasers for the network ended up acquiring about 2,000 guns, most of which are presumed to have reached drug gangs. In December 2010, two weapons that had been bought by one of the suspects were found at the site of a shootout in which a Border Patrol agent, Brian Terry, was killed, setting off the scandal.

Some Republicans and conservative commentators have claimed that senior Obama administration officials must have initiated or authorized the tactics. But public testimony and documents have not produced evidence to support such claims. Information has emerged, however, showing that the Phoenix division of the A.T.F. had a running dispute with Arizona-based prosecutors over how much evidence was necessary to bring charges in straw-purchasing cases, and that its agents had used similar tactics — and lost track of guns — in three other investigations, during the Bush administration.

While the documents in dispute date from 2011, after Fast and Furious was over, Republicans framed their move as being about getting answers and justice for Agent Terry’s family. “It’s our responsibility to investigate when things go wrong, and things went wrong — an agent of the United States was murdered,” said Representative John L. Mica, Republican of Florida, accusing Mr. Holder of “showing contempt for the Congress.”

The Obama administration has been preparing a letter to the House speaker, John A. Boehner, saying that it will not prosecute Mr. Holder for criminal contempt because the Justice Department does not consider it to be a crime to fail to provide information over which a president has asserted executive privilege, officials familiar with the discussions said.

Four more Democrats — and all Republicans — voted for a separate resolution authorizing a lawsuit that would ask a judge to order the Justice Department to comply with its subpoena, setting up a test of Mr. Obama’s assertion of a form of executive privilege that protects agency deliberations from disclosure.

The Justice Department had offered to give Congress several hundred of the disputed documents if Republicans scrapped the contempt recommendation. The White House on Tuesday allowed Republican staff members to scan about a dozen of them, which it portrayed as a representative sample. But the two sides failed to reach a deal.

“My efforts to resolve this matter short of such a battle were rebuffed by Congressman Issa and his supporters,” Mr. Holder said after the vote. “It’s clear that they were not interested in bringing an end to this dispute or obtaining the information they claimed to seek.”

Mr. Issa cited the votes of the 17 Democrats in favor of contempt, saying a “bipartisan majority” supported the inquiry.

“This was not the outcome I had sought,” Mr. Issa said, “and it could have been avoided had Attorney General Holder actually produced the subpoenaed documents he said he could provide.”

The Truth Will Set You Free

May 17, 2012

Federal courts could soon decide a fight between Congress and Attorney General Eric Holder on the Operation Fast and Furious gun-running scandal. If Republicans persevere, this is a battle that Holder should lose in what would be a humiliating defeat for President Barack Obama.

Most Americans have now heard that our government allowed drug cartels to illegally smuggle thousands of guns from the U.S. into Mexico. “According to their internal emails, it was all to advance their gun-control agenda.”

Rep. Darrell Issa, chairman of the House Government Reform and Oversight Committee, is leading the charge against Holder in Congress. Yet Holder is refusing to release literally tens of thousands of pages of documents, or provide testimony regarding high-ranking officials potentially involved in this scandal that resulted in the death of multiple federal agents. So now Issa is pursuing a contempt citation against Holder, which can result in fines or even (unlikely) imprisonment.

Here’s the process for how the fight will unfold, if Issa continues to move forward:

Issa’s committee will vote to hold Eric Holder in contempt of Congress. Then the contempt citation goes to the House floor for a vote, because only the full House or Senate can hold someone in contempt. It then goes to the U.S. attorney for the District of Columbia to launch a criminal prosecution in federal court.

The problem, of course, is that federal prosecutors are part of DOJ. So all 93 U.S. attorneys work for–that’s right–Attorney General Holder. It’s a foregone conclusion that Ronald Machen–the U.S. attorney for D.C.–is not going to try to send his boss to prison. This is especially true given that Machen is a rising star among Democrats in the legal community with a perfect résumé, making him competitive for a top position at DOJ or perhaps a federal judgeship.

So then the House must bring a lawsuit of its own. The Supreme Court held in the 1997 case Raines v. Byrd that only the full House can initiate such a suit. So there would be another House vote, this time authorizing Issa to file a civil suit in D.C.’s federal district court on behalf of the House, seeking a court order to compel Holder to provide all the testimony and documents Issa has subpoenaed.

The only defense Holder can assert is to say that these documents are protected by executive privilege. That’s the doctrine that the president and his subordinates are independent of Congress, and that certain information can be kept secret to enable each president and his administration to do their jobs effectively. Though often asserted when information is sought regarding the president’s confidential conversations or for decisions involving military decisions or foreign diplomacy, executive privilege can be attempted whenever someone in an administration does not want to comply with a congressional subpoena.

But Holder will lose that legal fight if Issa and House Republicans persist in pursuing this investigation, as they should. This is in part because there are two types of executive privilege, as I explain in an academic publication. The first is the presidential communications privilege, which shields conversations a president has with his advisors. It’s rooted in the Constitution’s separation of powers, and allows every president to receive candid advice on how to discharge his duties.

That privilege only extends to communications directly involving the president, however, so instead Holder can only assert the second type of executive privilege, called the deliberative process privilege. It’s a common-law doctrine that is not found in the Constitution, and as such is a much weaker defense. Two centuries of legal precedent strongly suggest that if Holder tries claiming that this weaker form of executive privilege empowers him to refuse to answer Congress, the courts will smack Holder down–hard.

No doubt Holder would appeal his loss to the D.C. Circuit appeals court, where he should lose again. If Obama is reelected but Republicans keep the House, then this fight could eventually even reach the Supreme Court.

Sooner or later, the truth will come out.

The Water Gets Deeper, The Lies Get Bigger

December 9, 2011


DoJ makes ‘rare exception’ to explain deception…

Withdraws inaccurate letter it sent to Congress…

Docs raise more questions about Fast & Furious…

Issa says Holder ouster is up to White House…

Holder’s Caribbean Junket on Taxpayers’ Dime

November 17, 2011

Eric Holder’s Caribbean Trip an Ill-Advised Junket, Critics Say — Nov 17….

Attorney General Eric Holder is spending a week in the Caribbean in the name of improving law enforcement. But some in Congress say it’s the kind of junket that should be scrapped under Obama’s new austerity program.

(The Daily Beast) – Just days after President Obama announced a new austerity program to save billions in federal spending and travel, his attorney general, Eric Holder, is spending five days on the taxpayer’s dime hopping around Caribbean islands in the name of improving law enforcement in the region.

Holder’s stated mission for the trip was to sign law-enforcement agreements with authorities in the area and to inspect some condos recently seized by federal authorities in a Medicare fraud sting substantially smaller than the department’s usual pursuits prosecuting massive Wall Street fraud, terrorists, and murderers. He’ll also attend an international conference devoted to promoting democracy in the Western Hemisphere.

Lawmakers who huddled in a rainy, gloomy Washington on Wednesday waiting for an elusive deal to finally emerge to cut $1.2 trillion from the federal deficit were not amused by the fact that Holder was staying in upscale hotels in the tropical climates of the Dominican Republic, Barbados, and Trinidad. Specifically, they questioned why Holder needed five days in the region.

“One would think that agreements could be signed on a more abbreviated schedule that saves the attorney general time he continually indicates he doesn’t have, as well as taxpayer money,” said House Oversight and Government Reform Committee chairman Darrell Issa (R-Calif.), who recently tangled with Holder over a federal gun sting in which the government let weapons flow to Mexican drug cartels.

Read more:

%d bloggers like this: