March 9, 2013
Earlier this week Lockheed Martin received a new, $71 million contract to continue work on its Long Range Anti-Ship Missile.
The contract awarded from the Pentagon’s research arm, the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency, will allow more testing and risk assessment for the LRASM.
LRASM is an autonomous, precision-guided anti-ship standoff missile based on the successful JASSM-ER, and is designed to meet the needs of U.S. Navy and Air Force warfighters. LRASM is in development with the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency and the Office of Naval Research.
November 14, 2012
Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have requested US missile defense systems to counter perceived regional threats. Iran has eyes on you?
Qatar and the United Arab Emirates have requested the sale of up to $7.6bn in Lockheed Martin Corp missile-defence systems to counter perceived threats and lower their dependence on US forces, the Pentagon announced.
The Defence Security Cooperation Agency (DSCA), which oversees foreign arms sales, formally notified lawmakers on Friday that it had approved the possible sales, which come against the backdrop of heightened tensions with Iran.
The notifications were posted to the agency’s website late on Monday.
Lawmakers now have 30 days to block the potential sales although such action is rare since deals are carefully vetted with lawmakers weeks before the notifications are posted.
October 2, 2012
It’s the law and they all know it. YOu are supposed to notify their employees of pending layoffs, and their is no ambiguityIt’s to protect the people.
So Obama tells the Defense Contractors, don’t tell their employeses of pending layoffs because of coming cuts to the defense budget. Due to the Obama cuts…
The Washington Post reports:
Several defense contractors on Monday backed off threats to issue layoff notices to employees in coming weeks, a move they had said might be required given the threat of mandatory federal budget cuts in January.
Bethesda-based contracting giant Lockheed Martin and the U.S. arm of Britain’s BAE Systems, which is based in Arlington County, said they would not issue the notices this year. Under the federal Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, or Warn Act, states require advance notice of mass layoffs or facility closures.
The White House issued a memo late last week that directs contractors to follow the guidance of the Labor Department. In a July letter, the department said the Warn Act does not require contractors facing sequestration to send notices to their workers that they could be let go.
In its new guidance, the White House said that if sequestration occurs and an agency terminates or changes a contract that results in a plant closing or mass layoff, the contractors’ liability and litigation costs under the Warn Act would be “allowable costs” covered by the contracting agency.
Bottom line, they will tell you after the elections if you have been layed off, where the law(Warn Act) says they have only months to notify you of possible pending layoffs.
I will tell you after you vote for me whether we cut defense back… Says our lawless Preezy
The people get screwed…
UPDATE: Our play President, vs our empty chair, who got the snot beat out of him last night!!!!
October 1, 2012
You want lies, do it yourself….
(THE HILL) The Obama administration issued new guidance intended for defense contractors Friday afternoon, reiterating the administration’s position that the companies should not be issuing layoff notices over sequestration.
The Labor Department issued guidance in July saying it would be “inappropriate” for contractors to issue notices of potential layoffs tied to sequestration cuts. But a few contractors, most notably Lockheed Martin, said they still were considering whether to issue the notices — which would be sent out just days before the November election.
But the Friday guidance from the Office of Management and Budget raised the stakes in the dispute, telling contractors that they would be compensated for legal costs if layoffs occur due to contract cancellations under sequestration — but only if the contractors follow the Labor guidance.
The guidance said that if plant closings or mass layoffs occur under sequestration, then “employee compensation costs for [Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification] WARN act liability as determined by a court” would be paid for covered by the contracting federal agency.
Senate Republicans, who accused the White House of trying to hide job losses after the first guidance, said Friday that the new OMB statement “puts politics ahead of American workers.”
“The Obama Administration is cynically trying to skirt the WARN Act to keep the American people in the dark about this looming national security and fiscal crisis,” Sens. John McCain (R-Ariz.), Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.) and Kelly Ayotte (R-N.H.) said in a statement. “The president should insist that companies act in accordance with the clearly stated law and move forward with the layoff notices.”
August 2, 2012
The federal law requiring worker notification of mass layoffs does not apply to defense companies and other government contractors affected by the possibility of across-the-board budget cuts beginning early next year, the U.S. Department of Labor said Monday.
Companies led by Lockheed Martin Corp., the world’s largest defense contractor, have said that federal and state laws may require them to issue notifications of potential job cuts days before the Nov. 6 election unless President Barack Obama and Congress act to avert automatic defense reductions of $500 billion over a decade that would start Jan. 2.
In guidance posted on the department’s website, the Labor Department said it would be “inappropriate” for companies to send 60-day notices to their employees. That is because of the uncertainty about whether the reductions will occur or which jobs will be cut, the department said.
Legal notice “to employees of federal contractors, including in the defense industry, is not required 60 days in advance of Jan. 2, 2013, and would be inappropriate, given the lack of certainty about how the budget cuts will be implemented and the possibility that the sequester will be avoided before January,” the department said.
The department was clarifying requirements under the Worker Adjustment and Retraining Notification Act, also known as the WARN Act, which requires most employers with 100 or more workers to give 60 days’ notice of plant closings or “mass layoffs” affecting 500 or more workers, or at least 33 percent of the work force for companies with fewer than 500 employees..
So Obama is cutting the military and don’t want you to know until after the election.
Are you cool with that? How many ways can you try and rig the election, before people just say …
March 23, 2012
The F-35 Joint Strike Fighter, the supposed backbone of the Pentagon’s future air arsenal, could need additional years of work and billions of dollars in unplanned fixes, the Air Force and the Government Accountability Office revealed on Tuesday. Congressional testimony by Air Force and Navy leaders, plus a new report by the GAO, heaped bad news on a program that was already almost a decade late, hundreds of billions of dollars over its original budget and vexed by mismanagement, safety woes and rigged test results.
At an estimated $1 trillion to develop, purchase and support through 2050, the Lockheed Martin-built F-35 was already the most expensive conventional weapons program ever even before Tuesday’s bulletins. The Air Force, Navy and Marine Corps are counting on buying as many as 2,500 F-35s to replace almost every tactical jet in their current inventories. More than a dozen foreign countries are lined up to acquire the stealthy, single-engine fighter as well.
In its report the GAO reserved its most dire language for the JSF’s software, which agency expert Michael Sullivan said is “as complicated as anything on earth.” The new jet needs nearly 10 million lines of on-board code, compared to 5 million for the older F-22 and just 1.5 million for the Navy’s F/A-18 Super Hornet. “Software providing essential JSF capability has grown in size and complexity, and is taking longer to complete than expected,” the GAO warned.
Software delays plus continuing mechanical and safety problems prompted JSF program chief Adm. David Venlet to back away from a firm schedule for the new fighter’s frontline introduction. When the F-35 was conceived in the late 1990s, it was expected to begin flying combat missions as early as 2010. Lately military officials have mentioned 2018 as a likely start date. In his Congressional testimony, Venlet declined to even mention a possible timeframe for the JSF’s service entry.
Read the rest of this entry »